[Wrf-users] Land use & Topography effects in model

Sara Jackson sja at dhigroup.com
Thu Jul 21 02:33:15 MDT 2016

Hi wrfhelp,

I am trying to run ARW-WRF version 3.7 over an area with a complex coastline. The area of interest involves small islands. The one of most importance being ~7km x ~2km, located 500m off the main coastline and is also partly reclaimed land. It is of high importance that this island is resolved, as its effect is key to the study. The plan is have the finest nest with a horizontal of <1km (probably 400m). The problem I have is that the land mask in the model doesn't resolve the island. I am including is MODIS ~500m and ASTER ~30m topography as static data.

Do you have any suggestions/advice on how to solve this problem?
Are there any higher resolution land use data sets available? (the area of interest is Australia)
Is it possible to manually edit the landmask?

Best regards,

Sara Jackson

MMet Meteorology and Climate

Junior Meteorologist

Modelling and Hydroinformatics Services

[DHI logo]

DHI Water & Environment (S) Pte Ltd

1 Cleantech Loop

#03-05 CleanTech One

Singapore 637141

Tel:

+65 6777 6330

sja at dhigroup.com<mailto:sja at dhigroup.com>

www.dhigroup.com<http://www.dhigroup.com>

The expert in WATER ENVIRONMENTS

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient
(or authorised to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
any information contained in it thereof. If you have received this communication in error, please advise the sender
appropriately by reply e-mail, and then delete it. Thank you very much.