[Wrf-users] cu_physics for dx = 7km

Jonas Kaufmann jonas.kaufmann at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:09:25 MDT 2016

Hello,

I have set up a domain over Europe with 7km resolution. My main focus is to
generate wind forecasts with this domain.

I am comparing outputs between different physics settings, and there is one
thing with Cumulus schemes that I do not understand at the moment. I have
found presentations online that said that below 4km resolution you probably
won't need a cumulus scheme, between 4km and 10km it is not sure and above
10km you need a cumulus scheme. However I have also found that the Grell 3D
scheme (cu_physics = 5) is also supported for resolutions below 10km.

Now I am not sure how to proceed with this. Can you give a recommendation
when to use the Grell 3D scheme vs. not using a Cumulus scheme for my use
case?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Jonas