[Wrf-users] variables in WRF

Ben Stephens benstephens at utexas.edu
Wed Mar 9 11:10:45 MST 2016

Hi all,

I am trying to write a piece of code that will modify the vertical velocity, but I am having a hard time deciphering which variables are the ones I need to call into my function.  If anyone can confirm that these are correct and/or point me to the missing variables I would appreciate it:

total potential temperature = t + 300
total pressure = pb + p (base pressure plus perturbation pressure)
total water vapor mixing ratio = called “qv” in the registry, but doesn’t seem to be called this in the code?
vertical velocity = called “w” in the registry, but I only see "w_1" and “w_2” in the code?
density = looks like I can use “alt” as the inverse density?
total temperature tendency = t_tend?
height = z

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,