[Wrf-users] write intermediate file

Brandon Fisel bjfisel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 20:39:25 MST 2015

Hi Guanhuan,

You could try the following to remove the ensemble dimension:

ncwa -a ensemble infoo.nc outfoo.nc

Cheers,
On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 12:49 wen <wenguanhuan at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> Thank you for reply. I had the some idea at first. However,  the data
> source is ECWMF ensemble forecast data,  which has an additional  dimension
> named "ensemble". The filed is like this "TT(ensemble, level, latitude,
> longitude)". I haven't found a way to split the file into 50 files without
> ensemble dimension.  So I use ncl to read the data source  and write the
> field  into intermediate files. Do you have any better ideal? Thank you!
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Guanhuan Wen
>
> At 2015-12-24 01:36:43, "Benjamin Lamptey" <bllamptey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I prefer you create your own Vtable using GFS (or any other) as example.
> You name your Vtable as Vtable.XXX
> When you get to the stage where you make use of Vtable, you choose the one
> you have created.
>
> I believe it will be simpler than writing the intermediate file format.
>
> Regards
> Ben
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM, wen <wenguanhuan at 163.com> wrote:
>
>> [image: Boxbe] <https://www.boxbe.com/overview> This message is eligible
>> for Automatic Cleanup! (wenguanhuan at 163.com) Add cleanup rule
>> <https://www.boxbe.com/popup?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boxbe.com%2Fcleanup%3Ftoken%3D2IWG%252FjKpYStkW%252Be13VZihx3zUbqQJf0MsLU0R5BSWvKELwQuuihJTnQm%252BcG4ZoNl9Y0foawtV88ixtxKEZr05BflowasIkUehdki78tBu7dUeItIqxFZEw7ccDpDe9mjCuSccBZiY1U%253D%26key%3Dor4jGcj2r13cVApDPHRxlDrvF9dqzkDpanvDQIFn4Ps%253D&tc_serial=23757636524&tc_rand=1154879298&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
>> | More info
>> <http://blog.boxbe.com/general/boxbe-automatic-cleanup?tc_serial=23757636524&tc_rand=1154879298&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>       I am trying to use an unusual data as boundary and input for wrf.
>> There are temperature (T), u-wind (U), v-wind (V), geopotential   height,
>> relative (rh) on 11 pressure levels and temperature at 2 meter (T2), u-wind
>> (U10) and v-wind (V10) at 10 meter and mean sea level pressure (MSL).  Since
>> there is no Vtable for the data source,  I  write code to read the data and
>> write into intermediate file and then continue the normal subsequent steps
>> (metgrid.exe, real.exe, and wrf.exe). I come up with some questions listed
>> following. I hope you can help. Thank you!
>>
>> 1. Is it enough to run wrf using the existing variables int he data
>> source?
>> 2. The variable name and pressure level have to be written in the
>> intermediate file. As I know, temperature, u-wind, v-wind at pressure level
>> are represented by "TT, UU, VV".   What  variable names and pressure level
>> is used for temperature at 2 meter,  u-wind and v-wind at 10 meter? Is
> [...]
Brandon J Fisel
Iowa State University
Department of Geological & Atmospheric Sciences

Doctoral Research Assistant
bjfisel at iastate.edu
Tel:219.242.1466
Fax:515.294.6049

"Climate is what we expect; weather is what we get." -Mark Twain