[Wrf-users] Modifying WRF I/O code to do Lossy compression

Nikhil Garg nikhilgarg.gju at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 02:53:54 MDT 2015

I am assuming that you want to save physical space, I was wondering why not
try netcdf4 for wrf model. It works with WRF model version 3.5 and above.
Although WRF 3.4.1 can be compiled with nc4 option it doesnt seem to work
atleast for my case and I use nccopy for compression, but i have tested and
it works fine in 3.6 version.

I know that it is not really an answer to your question but it does
save you effort needed for compression using nccopy.

On 28 July 2015 at 16:31, Jatin Kala <jatin.kala.jk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience in modifying the WRF I/O
> source code to do "Lossy" compression for the wrfout_d0* files, i.e.,
> something along the lines of storing say temperatures as integer with a
> scale factor to convert to float again later when analyzing the outputs.
>
> I already know about NetCDF's nccopy, just wondering if someone has been
> brave enough to try "Lossy" type compression within the WRF source code,
> excluding wrfrst_d0* files.
>
> Cheers,
> Jatin.

Regards