[Wrf-users] Changing history_interval from a restart

Leigh Orf leigh.orf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:04:29 MDT 2015

Hi,

I would like to be able to be able to save history data very frequently but
not for the whole simulation, only when things get interesting, and that is
after a "pilot run" where history data is saved relatively infrequently.

So following an interesting simulation, I changed namelist.input and set
restart = .true. , modified the start time, and decreased my history
interval to a small number (history_interval = 10; it was originally 60 in
my first simulation from scratch). However, the change did not take. I find
myself having to go back to time=0 and save history data every 10 seconds,
which is a waste of disk space.

Is this a bug or a feature? Can it be overridden? Does the value of
history_interval originally in the namelist.input file get stored in the
restart file and trump whatever change was made to namelist.input? I
couldn't find evidence of that.

Leigh