[Wrf-users] Restart runs using different number of processors

Christopher Thomas christopherthomas at cmt.id.au
Thu May 7 16:26:10 MDT 2015

In Section 5 of the ARW users guide it states that

"one should restart the model with the same number of processors"

I am wondering just how necessary this is. I have tried restarting with a
different number of processors (on a completely different cluster) and it
seems to work fine.

There is no obvious place in the wrfrst file which specifies how many
processors were used to compute that file (although there are a couple of
dimensions in the wrfrst file that don't appear in a wrfout file).

Thanks