[Wrf-users] moving nested domain runs

Gianluca Meneghello gianmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:13:55 MDT 2015

Dear all,

I am looking for the best way to track the movements of the hurricane
center and of the nested domains in an ARW vortex-following run.

My current solution is to parse the rsl.out.0000 file for grid movements
and vortex center, but I was wondering if there is a simple way to save
this information in the wrfout_* files instead. An example could be to save
at each time step the location of the bottom-left corner of the nested
grids with respect to the coarser --- or even the coarsest --- ones.

I know latitude and longitudes for each mesh point are available in the
wrfout files, but I would need the data in meters, for example with
reference with the origin of the coarsest grid --- or anything else that
can be consistent with the U,V,W velocity field saved in the WRF file.

Thanks for your help,

Gianluca