[Wrf-users] Decouple total theta tendency

Eowyn Baughman eowyn42 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 12:21:05 MDT 2014

Hi wrf users,

Hopefully this is an easy one: how can I decouple RTHRATEN, the total theta
tendency due to radiation, from mass using wrf output variables?
Unofficial<http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=129>
documentation <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~scavallo/wrf_thermo.pdf>online
suggests division by MUT = MU + MUB, but MUT is a total column mass
(maybe it wasn't in 2008 when those documents were written) whereas the
theta tendency is 4-dimensional. Currently, I'm dividing RTHRATEN at each
(lat,lon,eta) point by MUT(lat,lon). Can someone confirm if this is the
correct approach, or suggest an alternative?

Thanks,
 Eowyn Baughman
grad student @ UW Seattle