[Wrf-users] Decouple total theta tendency

Hein Zelle hein.zelle at bmtargoss.com
Wed May 21 01:28:07 MDT 2014

Dear Eowyn Baughman,

> Unofficial<http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=129>
> documentation <http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~scavallo/wrf_thermo.pdf>online
> suggests division by MUT = MU + MUB, but MUT is a total column mass
> (maybe it wasn't in 2008 when those documents were written) whereas the
> theta tendency is 4-dimensional. Currently, I'm dividing RTHRATEN at each
> (lat,lon,eta) point by MUT(lat,lon). Can someone confirm if this is the
> correct approach, or suggest an alternative?

I compute dry, wet and total air mass for each vertical level with

drymass = (mu + mub) * -1 * dnw
wetmass = drymass * (qcloud + qvapor)
totalmass = drymass * (1 + qcloud + qvapor + qsnow + qrain)

Units are in Pa, divide by 9.81 to get kg/m^2.

The above may not be 100% correct but it seems to work well enough.

Kind regards,
     Hein Zelle

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Senior consultant meteorology & oceanography

Tel:        +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:        +31 (0)527-242016
E-mail:     hein.zelle at bmtargoss.com
Website:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS b.v.
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse, the Netherlands
Postal address: P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove, the Netherlands

Registered in The Netherlands, Registered no. 39060160.

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS in writing, all work,
services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS shall be subject
to and governed by BMT ARGOSS' own terms and conditions which are
available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS on request.

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.