[Wrf-users] Sigma levels to geopotential heights (in meters)

Paula Doubrawa pdoubraw at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 26 10:48:43 MDT 2014

Hi, Seyed

I do understand what you mean. Sigma levels are terrain following
coordinates so a sigma level will never be the same height or pressure
along its sigma surface. You will need to interpolate the " dust " . Say
you have a variable called dust at sigma levels, and a variable called
heights, also at sigma levels. Let desired_height = 500. Then

dust_height_levels =
wrf_user_intrp3d(dust,heights,"h",desired_height,0.0,False)

Will give you dust at the desired level. You can use pressures instead of
heights, in which case instead of desired_height you should specify some
desired_pressure, say 500 mb.