[Wrf-users] How to deal with the problem that Typhoon Intensity is underestimated?

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Fri Dec 20 14:50:56 MST 2013

Hello 孙佳,

Your inner domain resolution of 10 km is probably insufficient to resolve the inner core and the processes responsible for typhoon intensification. You may want to use a triple nest with the inner domain 5 km or finer, e.g. 45/15/5, 36/12/4, 27/9/3, if your computing resources allow this high resolution. Also, different choices of physics parameterizations can strongly affect storm intensity.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
253 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA