[Wrf-users] About how to get typhoon center and its pressure

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Sep 3 13:11:41 MDT 2013

Dear Sun Jia,

You need sea level pressure, which is not provided in the raw WRF output. You can get SLP by post-processing the data (e.g. using ARWpost or NCL). The sum of P and PB gives the pressure on model levels, which is strongly influenced by surface terrain.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
253 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA