[Wrf-users] Differences between Obs. nudging and analysis nudging

Elena Maria Pison San Pedro emp at dhi.com.sg
Tue Dec 4 23:34:32 MST 2012

Hi,

I'd like to assimilate traditional surface (every 30 min) and upper air
(soundings, every 12hr) observations into WRF results before using the
next 72 hr GFS forecasts.

My questions are:

-       Is it possible to assimilate data at a higher frequency than the
6hr analysis via OBSGRID (every 30min)? If yes how I configure
namelist.oa? because I got this error when I select interval= 30 " The
FDDA sfc interval is larger than the 3d interval, STOP ERROR_EXIT in
error handler"

-       what is conceptually the main difference in using the
OBS_DOMAIN101 file in real and wrf.exe, using metoa files or using
wrfsfdda_d01,  if the info from the observations is the same? is it the
only the way it is pass though the location via the radius of influence
or the 3D grids? For my case, is there a better option of doing it?

-       If I use observational analysis using the last analysis times
(-6, 0hr) what is better to pass the info to the forecast times (every
3hr):

*         use restart files (running real again for the next 72hr of
forecast) or taking only every 6hr forecasts so I can run in a shot
(-6hr to +72hr)

*         or how can I use the previous results as initial / boundary
conditions in the forecasting period?

A big big thanks in advance!!!

Warm regards,

Elena

Elena Pison San Pedro

M.Sc. in Atmospheric Sciences

Meteorologist Researcher

RDI Department

DHI Water & Environment (S) Pte Ltd

1 Cleantech Loop

#03-05 CleanTech One

Singapore 637141

Tel:

+65 6777 6330

emp at dhi.com.sg <mailto:emp at dhi.com.sg>

www.dhigroup.com

The expert in WATER ENVIRONMENTS

This message contains information which may be confidential and
privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient
(or authorised to receive this message for the intended recipient), you
may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose
any information contained in it thereof. If you have received this
communication in error, please advise the sender
appropriately by reply e-mail, and then delete it. Thank you very much.