[Wrf-users] Job posting on WRF forum

Fast, Jerome D Jerome.Fast at pnnl.gov
Tue Jul 17 14:08:34 MDT 2012

I would like to post the following advertisement for postdoctoral research associates on the WRF forum.  Thanks.

Jerome Fast

Clouds, Aerosols, and their Interactions - Postdoctoral Research Associates

The Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has an exciting opportunity for postdoctoral researchers to join our team of scientists in performing research leading to a better understanding of critical atmospheric processes relevant to climate.  We are seeking up to four individuals with qualifications, experience, and interests in one or more of the following areas:

Cloud Statistics: We seek a postdoctoral scientist who will analyze and interpret cloud remote sensing and radiation measurements, using statistical methods for comparing measurements and/or model simulations.  The goal of this study is to create novel datasets needed to evaluate and improve how clouds are represented in models at various spatial scales. Job ID: 301741.

Cloud Parameterization: We seek a postdoctoral scientist who will study the dynamics and thermodynamics of convective clouds using cloud-resolving and cloud-system scale models.  The goal of this study is to develop novel methods for testing and evaluating parameterizations for various cloud processes, and to use that information to improve existing parameterizations or develop new ones for larger-scale atmospheric models.  Job ID: 301743.

Aerosol Wet Removal: We seek a postdoctoral scientist who will study cloud-aerosol interactions, particularly those associated with wet scavenging.  The goal of this study is to develop improved methods of evaluating the ability of models to simulate wet removal of aerosols from the atmosphere and to recommend new measurements needed to verify model predictions. Job ID: 301742.

Boundary Layer Turbulence and Land-Surface Exchange: We seek a postdoctoral scientist who will study how land-surface and boundary layer turbulence processes affect aerosols and the initiation of shallow convection. The goal of this study is to develop new methods of evaluating the inter-connections of various processes near the earth's surface.  Job ID: 301751.

Atmospheric Chemistry: The candidate will participate in chamber based laboratory studies of the SOA lifecycle. Experiments will focus on measuring SOA yield, chemical composition, CCN activity, and optical properties for process model development and evaluation. The candidate will conduct smog chamber experiments, collect and analyze data from a diverse range of instrumentation, work closely with modelers to improve the representations of SOA in process and regional models, and may also have the opportunity to participate in field campaigns. Hand-on laboratory experience is required and experience with flow tubes or environmental chambers and PTR-MS, AMS, or other mass spectrometry techniques are preferred. Job ID: 301726.

In addition, we are looking for highly motivated individuals who can demonstrate the ability to develop hypotheses, test those hypotheses, write and take the lead in publishing papers, and work in a collaborative environment.  The primary goal of the planned research is to develop an improved understanding of processes that affect clouds, aerosols, and their interactions over local to global spatial scales and to better represent these processes in the next generation climate models.  The researchers will join a team of scientists performing research on 1) linking land-surface, boundary layer, aerosol, and shallow clouds, 2) environmental conditions, wind shear, and aerosol effects on the lifecycle of deep convection, 3) aerosol aging and its impact on optical and cloud-nucleating properties, 4) cloud processing and wet removal of aerosols, and 5) tropical cloud processes.  Our team uses data from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program, along with the Community Atmosphere Model (CAM) and the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) models to study these processes over a range of spatial scales.  Experience with running the CAM or WRF models and/or using DOE Atmospheric Radiation and Measurement (ARM) program data is desirable, but not required.  The selected candidates will work closely with climate scientists at PNNL, other DOE National Laboratories, and universities as part of DOE's Atmospheric System Research (ASR) program.  Each postdoctoral researcher will report to a science mentor within PNNL's ASR research project most relevant to his/her set of scientific skills and background.   See http://jobs.pnl.gov <http://jobs.pnl.gov> to apply for these positions.