[Wrf-users] problem with writing history file using parallel netCDF and/or nio_tasks_per_group

BasitAli Khan BasitAli.Khan at kaust.edu.sa
Sun May 13 23:59:02 MDT 2012

Hi All,
I am encountering a problem with writing history file with parallel netCDF or dedicated cores. The history file writing time in WRF can be reduced using either parallel netCDF (io_form_history=11) and/or by specifically allocating few cores to nio_tasks_per_group. Both of these methods works fine for me on our BlueGene/P as long as the domain size is small say 400*400 points. However, when I increase the domain size and try to use any of these options, the history(output data) is not properly written to wrfout file. When I try to dig the output file with ncdump or ncview, I don't get any output variable, neither any time stamp or coordinate variable is found, although the file size is huge (80GB). I think the data is written to the history file but for some reason it is not properly organized and therefore becomes in-accessible.  I wonder if someone has encountered this sort of problem and knows the fix.

Thanks
----
Basit A. Khan, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Division of Physical Sciences & Engineering
Office# 3204, Level 3, Building 1,
King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
4700 King Abdullah Blvd, Box 2753, Thuwal 23955 –6900,
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Office: +966(0)2 808 0276,  Mobile: +966(0)5 0860 3617
E-mail: basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa<mailto:basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa>
Skype name: basit.a.khan