[Wrf-users] Question regarding physical parameterization

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Wed May 2 14:15:06 MDT 2012

It is recommended that you use the same parameterization schemes on all domains, with one exception: for domains finer than ~5 km horizontal resolution, you can turn off the cumulus parameterization scheme. However, the 5-km value is not absolute; different users may choose to keep the convection scheme active on high-resolution domains, depending on the purpose of their experiment. The appropriate convection/no-convection threshold may also depend on which convection scheme is used. You may want to run your experiment with and without convection scheme on the 3-km domain, and compare your results to assess the impact of using the parameterization.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org