[Wrf-users] Cycling in WRFDA - Updating BCs

Sean Crowell sean.m.crowell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:14:58 MST 2012

I'm running the most recent version of WRFDA, and I had a few
questions.  I'm cycling hourly with conventional observations, and
after several hours of assimilating, I'm getting artifacts around the
boundaries, and so I figured I must be doing the boundary conditions
wrong.  Right now, the way that I have my scripts set up, I first copy
my wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 from the last hour's run to my WRFDA
run folder, and link the most recent wrfout_d01 to the file "./fg",
and the proper obs*.3DVAR to ob.ascii.

Then I copy a file I called "parame.in.lower" to "parame.in" and run
da_update_bc.exe.  These are the contents of parame.in.lower:

&control_param
da_file		   = './fg'
wrf_input          = './wrfinput_d01'
wrf_bdy_file			= './wrfbdy_d01'
domain_id          = 1
debug   	   = .true.
cycling = .true.
update_lateral_bdy = .false.
update_low_bdy 	   = .true.
low_bdy_only = .true.
iswater 	   = 16
/

After that I run da_wrfvar.exe, and then copy another file
parame.in.lateral to parame.in.  These are the contents of
parame.in.lateral:

&control_param
wrfvar_output_file = './wrfvar_output'
wrf_bdy_file       = './wrfbdy_d01'
wrf_input          = './wrfinput_d01'
domain_id          = 1
cycling = .true.
debug   = .true.
update_lateral_bdy = .true.
update_low_bdy = .false.
low_bdy_only = .false.
update_lsm = .false.
/

Is there something I'm missing that would account for the boundary
effects I'm seeing?  The "obs" are really just taken from another set
of WRF runs, so noise is not really an issue.

Sean Crowell