[Wrf-users] dmpar version of geogrid.exe fails on several architectures

Don Morton Don.Morton at alaska.edu
Tue May 3 15:17:08 MDT 2011

Howdy, I've been trying to track down problems with the dmpar-compiled
geogrid.exe failing, as follows:

ERROR: ERROR: In GEOGRID.TBL, for index file of data at entry 8,
category_max is specified, but category_min is not. Both must be specified.
ERROR: In GEOGRID.TBL, for index file of data at entry ERROR: In
GEOGRID.TBL, for index file of data at entry 99, category_max is specified,
but category_min is not. Both must be specified.
In GEOGRID.TBL, for index file of data at entry 8, category_max is
specified, but category_min is not. Both must be specified.

This happens on a Cray XT5 (kraken), a Cray XE6 (chugach), a Penguin
computing cluster, and a Sun cluster.

In all cases, I am using Portland Group compilers.

In all cases, the serial version runs just fine, from the same directory,
with the same GEOGRID.TBL

This happens using WPS V3.2 and WPS V3.2.1  (I guess I should try WPS V3.3,
too).

When I use WPS V3.1, the dmpar-compiled geogrid.exe works fine, as expected.

The only "hint" I've found so far from googling is a WRF Users Forum entry
where someone found that with the Intel compiler the I_MPI_DEBUG flag, if
set to a certain value, was causing the same problem.  Of course, I"m not
using the Intel compiler, but it's interesting that this case was related to
an MPI implementation with exactly the same problem.  I'm wondering if
others have encountered this.  I'm trying to create some domains that are
too big for serial geogrid.exe

Thanks,

Don Morton

--