[Wrf-users] WRF3.3 - syntax error in module_fr_sfire_core?

Zulauf, Michael Michael.Zulauf at iberdrolaren.com
Mon Apr 18 13:35:01 MDT 2011

Hi there, WRF Help and WRF Users. . .

I've found what on _my_ system is being interpreted as a syntax error,
but I don't know if it actually is a syntax error, a compiler directive
that our system can't interpret, a configuration error, a compiler bug,
or what. . .

When attempting to build WRF 3.3, I get the following error:
--------------------- snip
  /apps/user_apps/OpenMPI-1.2.4_PGI7.0-2/bin/mpif90 -o
module_fr_sfire_core.o -c -fastsse -Mvect=noaltcode
-Mprefetch=distance:8 -Mfprelaxed -Mipa=fast,inline,safe -w -Mfree
-byteswapio -I../dyn_em -I../dyn_nmm -module
/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/main
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/external/esmf_time_f90
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/main
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/external/io_netcdf
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/external/io_int
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/frame
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/share
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/phys
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/chem
-I/apps/user_apps/WRF_versions/WRFV3.3_rev264/inc
-I/apps/user_apps/netcdf-4.1.1_PGI7.0-2/install_dir/include -r4 -i4
module_fr_sfire_core.f90 ; \
        fi
PGF90-S-0034-Syntax error at or near end of line
(module_fr_sfire_core.f90: 233)
  0 inform,   0 warnings,   1 severes, 0 fatal for nearest
make[3]: [module_fr_sfire_core.o] Error 2 (ignored)
--------------------- snip

When I examine module_fr_sfire_core.f90, I find that line 233 contains
the following:

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES FORCEINLINE

That looks to me something like a compiler directive (?), but given that
it starts with the exclamation point, I would think it would be ignored
if the compiler didn't understand it.  Checking with
module_fr_sfire_core.F, it looks like that line is directly inherited
from there.

When I remove that line (or replace it with a standard comment line),
then that file compiles fine using the same compilation command.  I
haven't yet tried to see if this allows me to completely build the
executable properly.

As you can see from the command above, I'm using PGI 7.0-2.  We've got
later versions installed on our system, but I'm currently having some
licensing issues that I've got to resolve.

It's a bit interesting, because I've found that similar lines didn't
cause problems elsewhere in the code base.  For example, the file
module_big_step_utilities_em.f90 contains several instances of the
following, and generated no errors:

!DEC$ loop count(3)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

--

PLEASE NOTE - NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:
michael.zulauf at iberdrolaren.com

Mike Zulauf
Meteorologist, Lead Senior
Wind Asset Management
Iberdrola Renewables
1125 NW Couch, Suite 700
Portland, OR 97209
Office: 503-478-6304  Cell: 503-913-0403

Please be advised that email addresses for Iberdrola Renewables personnel have changed to first.last at iberdrolaREN.com effective Aug. 16, 2010.  Please make a note.  Thank you.

This message is intended for the exclusive attention of the recipient(s) indicated.  Any information contained herein is strictly confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, alteration, filing or sending of this message and/or any attached files may lead to legal action being taken against the party(ies) responsible for said unauthorized use. Any opinion expressed herein is solely that of the author(s) and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the Company. The sender does not guarantee the integrity, speed or safety of this message, and does not accept responsibility for any possible damage arising from the interception, incorporation of viruses, or any other damage as a result of manipulation.