[Wrf-users] cluster interconnect - Infiniband vs 10 gigabit ethernet

Saji Hameed saji at u-aizu.ac.jp
Thu Apr 14 16:51:48 MDT 2011

Very good. I am considering Infiniband too, based on the work that is
mentioned by Kamal.  Anybody has any idea of the cost involved in Infiniband
infrastructure?

saji

2011/4/15 Ólafur Rögnvaldsson <or at belgingur.is>

> I agree with Aaron, it's the low latency of the InfiniBand that makes it a
> more suitable inter-node fabric than 1/10G Ethernet.
>
> Kind regards, Ólafur.
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Its been my experience that latency is the critical issue when running
> > wrf in parallel, not raw speed.  I would spec out the latency of 10GigE,
> > which I think is about the same as GigE, and compare it to Infiniband.
> > I think youll find infiniband is better in this case.
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > Zulauf, Michael wrote:
> >> Hi all - quick question.  Does anyone have data or experience comparing
> >> the performance and scaling of WRF with cluster interconnects utilizing
> >> 10 gigabit ethernet (10GigE) vs Infiniband?
> >>
> >> We're looking to expand and update our computing resources, and we'd
> >> originally spec'd it with Infiniband.  The nodes will have either dual
> >> quad- or hex-core Nehalem type processors.  There's been some IT
> >> pushback, suggesting that we should go with 10GigE.  I don't have any
> >> direct experience with 10GigE, but my experience with 1GigE shows that
> >> Infiniband scales far better.
> >>
> >> I've seen what I'd consider marketing material on the web that suggests
> >> that 10GigE is comparable to Infiniband, but they don't specifically
> >> mention WRF.  On the other hand, I've seen other sites that suggest an
> >> Infiniband interconnect is far superior.  Again, these don't
> >> specifically mention WRF.  I know the particular application in use is
> >> critical when deciding these things, and that WRF is a pretty demanding
> >> application when it comes to the interconnect.
> >>
> >> My suspicion is that Infiniband is still significantly superior, but if
> >> I'm going to be able to make any headway with IT, then I'll probably
> >> need some type of numbers to back up my arguments.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike

> Kveðja/regards,
> Ólafur Rögnvaldsson
> Reiknistofa í veðurfræði - Belgingur
> www.riv.is - www.belgingur.is

Saji N Hameed,
ARC-ENV, Center for Advanced Information Science and Technology,
University of Aizu, Tsuruga, Ikki-machi,
Aizuwakamatsu-shi, Fukushima 965-8580,
Japan

Tel: +81242 37-2736
 email: saji at u-aizu.ac.jp