[Wrf-users] cluster interconnect - Infiniband vs 10 gigabit ethernet

mmkamal at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca mmkamal at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 14 13:31:52 MDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Yes, interconnect is a big issue while running WRF on a HPC cluster.
InfiniBand increases WRF performance by up to 115% for cluster size of
24 nodes. I have used GigE since last one year but when I get the
opportunity to use Infiniband it really surprised me. You can take a
look on the following two resources for further details.

http://www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com/pdf/081016a%20WRF%20Model%20analysis.pdf

http://www.linuxclustersinstitute.org/conferences/archive/2009/PDF/Shainer_64557.pdf

Thanks
Kamal