[Wrf-users] limiting WRF output

Huy Tran tnquanghuy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:12:38 MDT 2011

Hi David,

Modifying the Registry file is right path. You can read more on WRF
Registry from here:
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/200807/WRF%20Registry%20and%20Examples.pdf

For each parameter there is I/O description, such as "i01rhusdf". Here
the "h" indicates how that parameter will be written out in WRF history
output file. The "h" maybe followed by integer numbers, for example
"h01" which indicate that the parameter will be written both in
principle output and in the first auxiliary files. So if you eliminate
the "h" and any number follow it, that parameter will not be written out.

If you just want to limit to a very few number of parameters to be
written out, the best way to do is make those parameters be written out
in a auxiliary file (e.g auxiliary 1). Then in the namelist.input set
the auxhist1_interval to the desired frequency, and change the
history_interval to much larger value to make WRF write the principle
outputs less frequently. Doing this way will only require modifications
to the concerned parameters and not have to pay attention to tons of
other parameters in the Registry.

As far as I know there is no way to limit the output file to a subset of
gridpoints of a domain.

Help this can help.

Huy