[Wrf-users] Problems running WRF-Var 3.2.1 with PREPBUFR

Kemp, Eric M. (GSFC-610.0)[NORTHROP GRUMMAN INFORMATION TECH] eric.kemp at nasa.gov
Tue Feb 8 12:10:42 MST 2011

Dear wrfhelp/wrf-users:

I am learning to use the WRF-Var 3.2.1 program and following the example in the on-line User’s Guide.  I can successfully run the program using the conventional observations in ASCII format.  However, when I try reading the PREPBUFR file instead of the ASCII version I encounter run-time errors and fail to execute an analysis.

I am running on an Intel Xeon platform with the ifort/icc 11.1.038 compilers and Intel MPI 3.2.011 (I’m not using the shared memory build option).  I set the BUFR environment variable to 1 before running ‘configure’ and see ‘-DBUFR’ in the resulting ‘configure.wrf’ file.  I also confirm that BUFRLIB in var/external/bufr is built — I modified preproc.sh to echo all commands as they are executed before I compiled WRFDA.

So far I’ve attempted six different tests (BUFRLIB compiled with –DLITTLE_ENDIAN unless otherwise noted):

Test 1.  Compile w/ -convert big_endian in configure.wrf.  Use linux PREPBUFR.  BUFRLIB aborts, cannot file "BUFR" in file.

Test 2.  Compile w/ -convert big_endian in configure.wrf.  Use regular PREPBUFR.   BUFRLIB doesn't return any obs, program completes w/o data assimilation.

Test 3.  Compile w/o -convert big_endian in configure.wrf.  Use linux PREPBUFR.  Reads obs.  Cannot read be file.

Test 4.  Compile w/o -convert big_endian in configure.wrf.  Use regular PREPBUFR.  BUFRLIB aborts; cannot find "BUFR" in file.

Test 5.  Compile w/ -convert big_endian, force BUFRLIB compile with -DBIG_ENDIAN.  Use linux PREPBUFR.  BUFRLIB aborts, can't determine machine native language.

Test 6.  Compile w/ -convert big_endian, force BUFRLIB compile with -DBIG_ENDIAN.  Use regular PREPBUFR.  BUFRLIB aborts, can't determine machine
native language.

Note that I’m only trying to assimilate conventional obs at this point (satellite radiances will come later).  Also, I have a separate utility that can successfully read the linux PREPBUFR file (it can’t read the regular PREPBUFR).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp                   Northrop Grumman Corporation
Meteorologist                  Information Systems
Civil Enterprise Solutions     Civil Systems Division

                               Goddard Space Flight Center
                               Mailstop 610.3
                               Greenbelt, MD 20771
                               Telephone   301-286-9768