[Wrf-users] Adaptive Time-step output times mismatch/incorrect

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Fri Oct 22 15:36:47 MDT 2010

Hi All,

I checked the code. The subroutine to adapt time steps is no longer called
for NESTED domains unless at a boundary update time, so it is not able to
adapt the time step to hit the output time, except for the outer domain.

Here is the 3.1.1 code in solve_em.F when it worked:

    ! Adaptive time step: Added by T. Hutchinson, WSI  3/5/07
    !   In this call, we do the time-step adaptation and set time-dependent
lateral
    !   boundary condition nudging weights.
    !
       IF (config_flags%use_adaptive_time_step) THEN
        CALL adapt_timestep(grid, config_flags)
         adapt_step_flag = .TRUE.
       ELSE
         adapt_step_flag = .FALSE.
       ENDIF
    ! End of adaptive time step modifications

And here is the equivalent code in 3.2.1:

    ! Adaptive time step: Added by T. Hutchinson, WSI  3/5/07
    !   In this call, we do the time-step adaptation and set time-dependent
lateral
    !   boundary condition nudging weights.
    !
       IF ( (config_flags%use_adaptive_time_step) .and. &
            ( (.not. grid%nested) .or. &
            ( (grid%nested) .and. (abs(grid%dtbc) < 0.0001) ) ) )THEN
          CALL adapt_timestep(grid, config_flags)
          adapt_step_flag = .TRUE.
       ELSE
          adapt_step_flag = .FALSE.
       ENDIF
    ! End of adaptive time step modifications

The variable dtbc is descripbed as:  "TIME SINCE BOUNDARY READ." Since I
don't know the purpose of the changes, I won't suggest changing 3.2.1 to
look like 3.1.1

I also looked at the code related to the configuration variable
"adjust_output_times". To me it looks like the output string for the file
name is changed when this is "true" but not the timestep or anything else.

Kevin Nuss