[Wrf-users] problem running real.exe

Andrew Porter andrew.porter at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 12:55:34 MDT 2010

Hi Sam,

> I'm running monthly simulations and until now I have had no problems
> running real.exe.  However, I've suddenly ran into the following error
> message, which happens about half way through the execution of real.exe:
>
> lib-4211 : UNRECOVERABLE library error
>     Unable to find error message (check NLSPATH, file lib.cat)
>
> Encountered during a sequential formatted WRITE to an internal file
> (character variable)
>
> I can't find much information about it, does anyone have any ideas?

I'm guessing your using HECToR? If so, you need to put lib.cat somewhere
in /work so that the running job can access it - set the NLSPATH env.
variable to point to it in your job script. I can't remember how I found
where lib.cat was originally but maybe google will help. If not, contact
me and I'll give you my copy.

However, all the above will do is give you a more precise error message.
I've only ever came across this error from running WRF compiled in
OpenMP+MPI mode with the PGI compiler. Despite going in and increasing
the length of the buffer being written to I couldn't fix the error. In
the end I got around it by using the Pathscale compiler instead.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

--
Dr. Andrew Porter