[Wrf-users] Using diff_opt=2 in complex terrain (Witcraft, Nick)

Jose Jimenez jimenezg at meteologica.es
Fri Sep 17 03:32:00 MDT 2010

Daniel,
I have had the same problem as you during a long time. I want to use
diff_opt =2 in order to simulate cold pools in valleys but I want the
PBL scheme activated because my inner domain has 1 Km resolution . I
have tried my simulations only with km_opt=4.
I´m working with a simulation of 3 months and until a week I only was
able to simulate five days reducing time step to 180 due to cfl problems.
The problem was in a place with very steep topography and I found in WRF
some solutions related with smoothing topography. The once that has
worked for me is editing GEOGRID.TBL.ARW in WPS/geogrid and changing
smooth_option = 1-2-1 and  smooth_passes=3.
With this options my simulation is still running at day 20. I hope this
will work for you
But I have some doubts about diff_opt =2 because in shorter simulations
compared with MM5 it seems that MM5 reproduce better cold pools. I don´t
know if I´m wrong or it can be possible. Any idea about this issue?
Thanks

--
*Jose Manuel Jiménez Gutiérrez*
mailto: jimenezg at meteologica.com <mailto:jimenezg at meteologica.es>

	Heliotropo, 5 - 28029 Madrid
*Tel.:* +34 91 456 10 01
*Mobile:* +34 655 985 661
*Fax.:* +34 91 456 10 02
*Troubleshooting 24/7:* +34 655 985 657

LOPD y LSSI: De acuerdo con la legislación vigente en materia de
Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal (Ley 15/1999 del 13 de
Diciembre), le informamos que su dirección de correo electrónico y los
mensajes que pudiéramos recibir pasarán a formar parte de un fichero
denominado EMAILS, del que es responsable Meteológica, S.A. Puede
ejercer sus derechos de acceso, cancelación, modificación y oposición en
la dirección postal C/ Heliotropo, 5 bajo, 28029 Madrid Tel. 914561001
Fax 914561002. La finalidad de este fichero es la de realizar una
correcta gestión y prestación de los servicios ofrecidos por
Meteológica, S.A. a sus clientes, no cediéndose en ningún momento los
datos facilitados.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not an addressee, any
unauthorised direct or indirect dissemination, distribution, publication
or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
immediately, and delete this email from your system.