[Wrf-users] Internal compiler error, WRFv3.x using gfortran 4.5.x

Bart van Stratum bart.vanstratum at wur.nl
Wed Sep 1 13:22:51 MDT 2010

Hello,

I've been compiling and running WRF (v3.1, 3.2) on my system (AMD Phenom II, OpenSUSE 11.2 32 bit) for about a year without any problems. After a recent upgrade to OpenSUSE 11.3 64 bit (same hardware) all attempts to compile WRF fail on an internal compiler error:

module_radiation_driver.f90:9:0: internal compiler error: in build_int_cst_wide, at tree.c:1178
module_pbl_driver.f90:8:0: internal compiler error: in build_int_cst_wide, at tree.c:1178
Et cetera.

I'm compiling WRF using gfortran (v4.5.0).

My efforts to solve this so far:
 - Tried compiling v3.1, v3.2 and v3.2.1 on both OpenSUSE 11.3 32 and 64 bit. All attempts fail with the above mentioned errors.
 - Upgraded gcc/gfortran to the latest nightly build (v4.5.1). Again, the same errors.
 - Reduced the compiler optimization. With this I'm able to compile WRF using a very low optimization (O1), compiling using O2 again results in an error.

I send an e-mail to WRFhelp but unfortunately they don't have acces to an OpenSUSE system and so they asked me kindly to post this question on a bulletin board / mailing list.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bart van Stratum
Student Meteorology, Wageningen University, The Netherlands