[Wrf-users] Queries about sharp discontinuity of HydrologicalVariables

Feng Liu fliu at mag.maricopa.gov
Tue Aug 3 17:07:33 MDT 2010

Hi, Kamal,
The sharp gradient for those variables may be resulted from impropriate
resolution or interpolation algorithm to process static geogrid data,
for example land use category and soil type. Please check namelist for
running WPS, try to use high resolution data through
geog_data_res='30s', '30s','30s' in namelist.wps,  and interpolation
option in GEOGRID.TBL for soil type and land use category should be
"nearest_neighbor "  and " four_pt", respectively.
BTW, I wonder if you are using USGS land use data. For your high
resolution domain d03, I think default USGS land use data downloaded
from WRF -related website is too outdated. MODIS data may be better.
Hope that is helpful.
Feng