[Wrf-users] sf_urban_physics = 3 (or 2) in WRF 3.2

Matei Georgescu Matei.Georgescu at asu.edu
Tue Aug 3 13:29:33 MDT 2010

Greetings,

I've successfully completed simulations with sf_urban_physics = 0 and 1,
with the NLCD2001 3-class urban data and would like to use the multi-layer
urban parameterization (sf_urban_physics = 2 or 3). I am unfortunately
unable to use either of the options (2 or 3).

I'm using a 2-way nested grid configuration (3 total grids; finest grid
delta-x, delta-y is 2km, with 40 levels in the vertical).

Initially (after successful real.exe completion), the model stopped at a
request to increase "nbui_max" to 5 levels. I changed the value (initially
4) to 5, after which a request to increase num_urban layers (i initially set
this in the namelist to 1040) to 1300 was made. I did that as well,
recompiled, etc. ... now the model simply stops and it seems to stop in the
noah driver routine (perhaps while calling bep.

I've attached my namelist configuration and an example of the (rsl) output
(with a high debug level).

Perhaps I am forgetting something that is required for execution of these
multi-layer urban schemes.

Has anyone encountered similar issues?

thank you,
Matei Georgescu