[Wrf-users] WRF hangs with lots of mpi processes

PILLON Julien julien.pillon at alyotech.fr
Thu May 6 03:36:35 MDT 2010

Hello,
I have some problems with WRF...
When I try to run with 256 or 128 mpi processes, the execution sometimes hangs after initialization but when I run it with 64 mpi processes, it runs perfectly...

My WRF is built with only distributed memory (mpi only)...

The trace I get in rsl.error.0000 when it hangs is the following :

 Namelist dfi_control not found in namelist.input. Using registry defaults for v
 ariables in dfi_control
 Namelist tc not found in namelist.input. Using registry defaults for variables
 in tc
 Namelist scm not found in namelist.input. Using registry defaults for variables
  in scm
 Namelist fire not found in namelist.input. Using registry defaults for variable
 s in fire
  Ntasks in X            8, ntasks in Y            8
 NOTE: num_soil_layers has been set to      5
 WRF V3.2 MODEL
  *************************************
  Parent domain
  ids,ide,jds,jde            1          45           1          37
  ims,ime,jms,jme           -4          13          -4          12
  ips,ipe,jps,jpe            1           6           1           5
  *************************************
 DYNAMICS OPTION: Eulerian Mass Coordinate
    alloc_space_field: domain            1,      5917400 bytes allocated
   med_initialdata_input: calling input_input
 INPUT LandUse = "USGS"
  *************************************
  Nesting domain
  ids,ide,jds,jde            1          43           1          37
  ims,ime,jms,jme           -4          18          -4          15
  ips,ipe,jps,jpe            1           6           1           5
  INTERMEDIATE domain
  ids,ide,jds,jde           22          41          14          31
  ims,ime,jms,jme           17          35           9          27
  ips,ipe,jps,jpe           20          25          12          17
 d01 2010-05-07_00:00:00  alloc_space_field: domain            2,      8405096 b
 ytes allocated
 d01 2010-05-07_00:00:00  alloc_space_field: domain            2,      1117656 b
 ytes allocated

Julien