[Wrf-users] more WRF 3.2 issues: delayed initialization of nests and fine_input_stream

Zulauf, Michael Michael.Zulauf at iberdrolausa.com
Mon Apr 19 15:26:32 MDT 2010

(Note, I submitted this a little while ago, but I found an error in my
email.  I think I cancelled it before approval.  Here's my corrected
version.  -MZ)

Hi again, WRF users. . .

I've come across another issue with WRF V3.2 that seemed to work fine
with WRF V3.1.1 and earlier.  The netcdf problems I mentioned earlier
continue, but playing with optimization does seem to have an impact.
I'm hopeful that I'll find some settings that have reasonable
performance and also don't hang occasionally on netcdf output.  The new
issue seems separate.

I delay the initialization of the inner grids in the model runs I
described earlier (outer domain at 27 km, nests at 9km, 3km and 1km).
The nest initializations are delayed by 3 hours, 6 hours, and 9 hours -
times which coincide with the GFS input data.  I believe I have set
input_from_file  and fine_input_stream so that static data like
topography comes from the wrfinput_d0x files, and the atmospheric data
is interpolated from the parent grid.  Ie:
	input_from_file                     =
.true.,.true.,.true.,.true.,.true.,
	fine_input_stream                   = 0, 2, 2, 2,

But when I look at the wrfout files, it looks like _all_ of the data is
being interpolated from the parent grid, so we get no benefit of the
higher resolution topography.  The high resolution topography is in the
wrfinput_d0x files, and the time of the data appears to be correct (at
the time that the nests are supposed to initialize).

When run with V3.1.1, I see the high resolution topography in both the
input and output files, as I should.

I've also found that if I use V3.2 and initialize the nests at the same
time as the outer domain (at the beginning), and set fine_input_stream
to 0 for all nests, then it also seems to work fine.  So it only seems
to be a problem (for me) when I use delayed initialization with the
nests.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Zulauf
Meteorologist

This message is intended for the exclusive attention of the address(es) indicated.  Any information contained herein is strictly confidential and privileged, especially as regards person data,
which must not be disclosed.  If you are the intended recipient and have received it by mistake or learn about it in any other way, please notify us by return e-mail and delete this message from
 your computer system. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, alteration, filing or sending of this message and/or any attached files to third parties may lead to legal proceedings being taken. Any
opinion expressed herein is solely that of the author(s) and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Iberdrola. The sender does not guarantee the integrity, speed or safety of this
message, not accept responsibility for any possible damage arising from the interception, incorporation of virus or any other manipulation carried out by third parties.