[Wrf-users] Radiation timestep - what to use?

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Fri Apr 9 15:26:41 MDT 2010

Dear wrf users,

I have asked this same question several times (over the course of several years) and never gotten a definitive answer. Even among the WRF developers, opinions differ. In one case, I had the same nesting configuration (3 domains, 27/9/3km resolution). I got several responses but they did not agree. Some would recommend to set radt = 27; others would recommend using radt = 3. I chose the middle ground by setting radt = 9, but it would be nice to settle this question once and for all.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org