[Wrf-users] Forecast using WRF

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 4 12:53:29 MDT 2009

Hello Amjad,

Real-time NCEP model forecast data is available at this server:

http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/

Only GFS data will be useful to you since NAM and RUC are regional models that only run over North America/USA; they do not cover your region of interest. GFS is a global model. You can get GFS data at 0.5 or 1.0 degree resolution, in GRIB2 format, and you can choose which fields to download and for what region you want data. Combining field selection with regional subsetting will significantly reduce the amount of data you have to download, compared to the size of the original global files that contain all of the output fields.

You can get archived (non-real time) NCEP model data going back a couple of years at:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org