[Wrf-users] NMM offline nesting problems

Eduardo Penabad Ramos edu.penabad at meteogalicia.es
Tue Aug 25 07:13:55 MDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to nest into a previous generated NMM output a finer domain.
In order to do so, I'm postprocessing d01 original output with WPP, then
I obtain a GRIB file that I can use as initial and boundary condition
file for the new domain02 run. (I'm using Vtable.NAM to ungrib that file)

I'm facing some troubles with this scheme. Here it is the landmask of my
d02:

I run metgrid and real_nmm.exe succesfully, but when I run wrf, after
the first iterations I obtain NaN values over the land points. This
values appear not just in the surface nor in the whole column, for
instance here it goes two plots of  v-wind variable at wrfout file at
the first vertical level (upper row) and the upper vertical level
(bottom row), at the initialization time (left column) and after 3
iterations (right column):

Moreover, I've observed some inconsistencies betwen the "landsea" (from
the GRIB file of the previous d01 run) and the "landmask" (from geo_nmm
of domain02) contained in met_nmm files. In addition to some expected
differences between this 2 variables, it looks like land is displaced by
some kind of spatial shift from northwest to southeast.

Does anybody have any advice on where could it be the problem of these
issues? Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Penabad
MeteoGalicia. NWP Dept.

--