[Wrf-users] Saving precip variables in auxiliary history file

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Mar 24 22:22:22 MDT 2009

Hello,

When running WRF-ARW, I want to save the default history file every 6 hours but I want to save two accumulated precipitation variables (RAINC and RAINNC) every 3 hours. From the documentation, I have the impression that to do this I need to modify the Registry and save the precip variables in an "auxiliary" history file which is labelled with a number from 1 to 11 (i.e. auxhist1, auxhist2, ..., auxhist11). However, I'm not sure what specific changes to make in the Registry file and the namelist.input file to enable saving auxiliary history data. Can I use any number from 1 to 11 or are some of the numbers reserved for special purposes (as is the case with some of the auxinput files)? If anyone has successfully done what I am trying to do, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org