[Wrf-users] constant dz <--> sigma-p

Alexandre Fierro alexandre.o.fierro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:08:56 MDT 2009

Hi All:

I was wondering if you could help me with the following:

I would like to initialize WRF using a constant dz vertical grid: Would you
know an easy-quick way to accurately compute sigma for a given constant dz
value using base state environmental data? The problem is that the wrf.input
or wrf.out do not have T and Rho for base state on the sigma grid; they only
have Pb, phb and Mub, which are somewhat more obscure variables.

Also, which sounding/env WRF uses to compute the horizontally homogeneous
base state remains unclear. Since perturbation variables only matter during
integration the initial env is not that important. However, it is when
trying to get the real (model) Cartesian heights.

Cheers and thanks for any help you could provide,

Alex-

Alexandre Fierro, PhD
Post-Doctoral Fellow-Research Associate/
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM (LANL)
Atmospheric Dynamics - EES-16
MS D 401, Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: 505-664-0303
E-mail: alexfierro at lanl.gov

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute, and its longer than any hour.
That's relativity."
                              -Albert Einstein-

"My opinions are my own and not representative of OU,
AOML, HRD, LANL or any affiliates."