[Wrf-users] WRFV3 seg fault on SGI Altix

Gerardo Cisneros gerardo at sgi.com
Mon Oct 6 07:37:01 MDT 2008

Rodrigo,

You wrote:
> We're trying to run WRFv3.0.1.1 (ARW core) on a SGI Altix 450
> (Itanium2-based) with OpenMP parallelization schema (SM Only).
>
> The pre-processing stage runs without problems, but simulation crashes
> with an ugly "Segmentation Fault" message as follows:
>
> SUN-EARTH DISTANCE CALCULATION FINISHED IN SOLARD
> YEAR= 2008  MONTH=  1  DAY= 16 HOUR=  0 R1=   0.9837
>   STEPRA,STEPCU,STEPBL          14           1           1
> Timing for Writing wrfout_d01_2008-01-16_00:00:00 for domain        1:
> 1.05780 elapsed seconds.
> Timing for processing lateral boundary for domain        1:    0.39930
> elapsed seconds.
> Segmentation fault

Did you set the KMP_STACKSIZE environment variable
to something larger than the default 64kB?  Failure
to do so is the most common source of segmentation
faults for OpenMP-built applications using Intel
compilers.

Having said that I do *not* recommend building WRF
in the SM-only scheme for the Itanium-based Altixes,
even though they *are* shared-memory systems.  Please
use DM-Only.  You will get much better performance.

Saludos,

Gerardo
--
Dr. Gerardo Cisneros	|SGI (Silicon Graphics, S.A. de C.V.)
Scientist             	|Av. Vasco de Quiroga 3000, Col. Santa Fe