[Wrf-users] Differential operators on WRF-ARW grids

Alan Norton alan at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 7 08:31:43 MDT 2008

To facilitate calculation of vorticity and other differential operators
on WRF-ARW variables, we (i.e. VAPOR) are proposing to provide a utility
that will interpolate variables from the WRF grid to a cartesian grid,
and also to reinterpolate from a Cartesian grid back to the original WRF
grid.  However we are concerned that there may be artifacts introduced
at the lower and upper limits of the WRF grid wherever the Cartesian
grid extends beyond the WRF grid.  We would like to hear feedback
regarding good ways of doing this conversion.  Is it OK to extend
downward and upward the bottom and top WRF variable values? Or will such
extension introduce undesirable artifacts when differential operators
are applied?
Thanks,
-Alan Norton
VAPOR/NCAR