[Wrf-users] Problems with global WRF

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 6 11:50:39 MDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to run the global WRF (V3.0) with a 2-way interactive nest. I have attached my namelist.input file. The global domain is 241x121 grid points (about 167 km) with 31 levels, and the nest is over South Asia with a resolution of about 56 km (3:1 nesting ratio). If I run the global domain only, without the nest, the run (96 hrs) is successful, but with the nest it crashes after about 1 hour of model integration. The only indication of trouble in the rsl.* files are some messages like this:

 rrtm: TBOUND exceeds table limit: reset    346.143

There are several other messages with different values but they all exceed 340.

The namelist.input file I'm using is based on the namelist.input.global file that comes with the WRFV3 tar file. Aside from changing the dates and domain dimensions/resolution, the only other changes I've made are:

- Added the following lines to enable nest input and lower boundary updates:

 interval_seconds                    = 21600
 input_from_file                     = .true.,.true.,.true.,

 auxinput4_inname                    = "wrflowinp_d<domain>",
 auxinput4_interval                  = 360,  360,  360,

- Changed a few physics settings:

 ra_sw_physics                       = 2,     2,     2,
 sf_surface_physics                  = 2,     2,     2,
 num_soil_layers                     = 4,

- Added these two lines to enable SST and albedo updates:

 sst_update                          = 1,
 usemonalb                           = .true.,

Also, when I try to post-process output from the successful global run without the nest, neither ARWpost nor WRFPOST can handle the global output. ARWpost produces a set of grads output files, but the xdef and ydef records are missing in the grads ctl file. WRFPOST simply crashes when it tries to process the global WRF output. It seems that neither ARWpost nor WRFPOST is capable of properly handling global WRF output at this time.

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org