[Wrf-users] WRF grib files after WPP + restart

Daniel van Dijke D.vanDijke at weer.nl
Tue Jun 24 09:17:53 MDT 2008

Hi,

I'm running WRF en WPP both v3 in an operational environment. Since WRF with an adaptive times sometimes crashes (see email from June 19th) I make restart files so WRF can restart with a smaller fixed timestep. After WRF finishes successfully I run WRFpost to create the extra variables at pressure levels. Next I run copygb to interpolate it to lat-lon grid (needed for the database).

In the output gribs of the forecasts periods after the restart is the start date of the restart moment and the forecast periods start with 0 from that moment.

I know this is totally logical if you look at it as two separate runs, but I look at it as one run that needed to be restarted. In our database the "wrong" date and forecast period give problems, because now the database sees it as two runs, but the forecast meteorologist should see it as one run.

Did anybody have this kind of problem too? If so, how did you solve it?

One solution would be if it is possible to change the date and fp written in the gribfile by WRF / copygb. Or another solution would be to write a program to edit the grib files afterward, but this would be a less ideal and "clean" method.

Thanks in advanced,

Daniël

  Daniël van Dijke

  Junior Meteorological Researcher

  Meteo Consult BV, Wageningen, the Netherlands

  Tel: +31 (0)317 399874

  Email: Daniel at weer.nl

This e-mail is from Meteo Consult B.V., a MeteoGroup company. For more information, see http://www.weer.nl/gebruiksvoorwaarden.

This e-mail may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of MeteoGroup.

Any e-mail reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.