[Wrf-users] runtime error: WRFV3 on Intel Mac (ifort w/ gcc)

Todd Ringler ringler at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 24 08:31:36 MDT 2008

I am having a few problems getting WFRV3 to run on my Mac OS X (Intel)
system. I am using OS X 10.5.3 with ifort 10.1.014 and gcc 4.0.1. I am
trying to move to 64 bit, but that has had its own problems so I am
still creating 32 bit executables.

When compiling for 32 bit executables, the only modification I need to
make to the WRFV3 distribution is to add $(WRF_SRC_ROOT_DIR)/frame/
module_domain_type.o to LDFLAGS_LOCAL in the arch/
configure_new.defaults (as described at WRFBLOG). I am compiling in
debug mode and using Totalview.

With this setup I get executables. Whether it is in ideal.exe or
wrf.exe, the executable dies (with a Segmentation Fault) on a call to
"model_to_grid_config_rec". In this case (from ideal.exe built with ./
compile em_grav2d_x in serial mode) the calling sequence is:

CALL med_initialdata_output( head_grid , config_flags )
	CALL init_domain ( grid )
		CALL init_domain_rk( grid &
			CALL model_to_grid_config_rec ( grid%id , model_config_rec ,
config_flags )

If I look at the stack immediately before the call to
model_to_grid_config_rec I do see a whole host of arrays with bad
addresses, such as: rqvcuten:                         <Bad address:
0xbbf56540> (REAL*4(:,:,:)) (this may or may not be relevant).

My hope is that someone has seen this error before and can provide
some advice on how to fix it.

Cheers,
Todd

---
Correspondence/TSPA/DUSA AOE
---
Todd Ringler              http://public.lanl.gov/ringler/ringler.html
T-3 Fluid Dynamics   ringler at lanl.gov
MS B216
Los Alamos National Lab  (505) 667-7744 (ph)
Los Alamos, NM 87545     (505) 665-5926 (fax)