[Wrf-users] Tests with adaptive time step in WRF-ARW (v3)

Hutchinson, Todd thutchinson at wsi.com
Fri Jun 20 09:42:38 MDT 2008

Eduardo,

Glad to see that you are working with the adaptive time-step.  As I'm
sure you know, it is new in WRF3.0.  We developed and have been using
the adaptive time-step in operational forecasts with a modified version
of WRF2.2 for quite some time.  Our operational simulations consist of
an outer 12km nest and an inner 4km nest.   This configuration has been
very stable for us.  However, we have only done limited testing with
three levels of nesting.

I'm interested to see the length of the time-steps just before the model
crash.  Could you post the last hundred or so "Timing for main" lines
from the rsl.out.0000 file?

Have you set any parameters in the namelist file other than the
use_adaptive_time_step setting?

I'd suggest that you add the following to your namelist file:
max_step_increase_pct = 5, 51, 51   (the default is 5,5,5)

This will limit the time-step of the outer nest from changing by more
than 5%, but allow the time-step on the inner two nests to change by up
to 51%.  Since the inner nest(s) time steps must be evenly divisible
into the outer nest time-step, with the default of 5,5,5, the time step
on the inner nests will not increase unless the time-step on the outer
nest changes.

Just FYI:
I believe the 'WOULD GO OFF TOP" lines that you see are a symptom of the
model being unstable.  I've seen these types of errors in several
situations:
1) a couple of minutes into a simulation -- often this is caused by bad
input data
2) later on during a simulation -- this is most often caused by a
time-step problem, or bad boundary data.