[Wrf-users] IDV and Vapor

David Smart david.waghorn at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 3 07:00:01 MDT 2008

I'm using both packages and generally concur with the comments above.
IMO Vapor is better at subsetting data fields and has superior volume
rendering capabilities. For those with experience with visualisation tools
the ability to control lighting, and hand tool transfer functions etc is
useful. The trajectory analysis capability is a big plus ( adding capability
to derive system relative trajectories wld be a bonus for meteorological
analysis). It would be good to have more derived variables available and
built-in map capabilities, but I would not like it become as complicated and
multi-purpose.as IDV. The capability to export to open source plotting
packages (rather than the expensive IDL) wld be helpful.
On a modest, now outdated, single processor PC with a recent, cheap ($30-40)
GeForce 256 Mb card it works well.
Echoing Leigh's comment- Vapor is superior if you want to view your
visualisation problem  from a fluid dynamical viewpoint.
I've been working on a high-resolution simulation of a 'real case' intense
ana-cold front (I think this is your area)-if you'd like to see some images
let me know,
regards,
David