[Wrf-users] Processing duration for WRF Model

Jonas Kaufmann me at j0nes.de
Mon Mar 3 03:25:52 MST 2008

Hello,

I am currently researching whether it is possible to run the WRF model
on my server. However I could not find any information about how long
the processing would take. Before I try to install WRF on this
machine, I would like to ask if this is generally possible and how
long this would take.

The machine is a Intel 2xQuad Core Intel Xeon @ 3,0 GHz with 16GB of
RAM running Debian Etch. The input for the model would be from GFS.
The resolution should be about 27km or preferrably 12 km. Forecast
regions should be from 10°W to 30°E and from 60°N to 30°N. I think I
have to split up this region into several subregions... I would like
to have 72 forecast horizons (3 days) available.

I don't know if these plans are unrealistic. However, I would be glad
if you could tell me how long computation would take. Or, in other
words: how much CPU power or servers would be necessary for
computation of the above model?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jonas