[Wrf-users] Re: wrfprep.pl and NNRP

Don Morton Don.Morton at umontana.edu
Mon Sep 18 07:56:15 MDT 2006

Hi Oriol, thank you very much - that solved the problem!
Using gribdump I could see that the PSFC field was on a
144x73 grid, whereas the other fields (like ICEC) were on
192x94 grids.

Please note that there was no need to put the 3D and 2D
GRIB data in the same directory (I like to keep them separate,
"just in case."  In some cases, conflicts arise, and the WRF Users'
Guide briefly mentions this possibility).

The case study (weather surrounding the 1998 Mt. Etna eruption)
is now running.

Thanks again!

On 9/18/06, ojorba <oriol.jorba at bsc.es> wrote:
> Hi Don, I found the same problem with NNRP data. It was related to PSFC
> field. Try the following:
>
> - Save all GRIB data 3D and 2D in the same directory.
> - Modify Vtable.NNRP adding the PSFC line
> - Modify Vtable.NNRPSFC deleting PSFC line
>
> follow the instructions to run wrfsi. The problem is that PSFC has the
> same dimensions as the 3D GRIB fields and it is defined in
> Vtable.NNRPSFC which only contains 2D fields with different dimensions.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Oriol
>
> Don Morton wrote:
>
> > On 9/17/06, Don Morton <Don.Morton at umontana.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> All, I have found the solution to my problem.  A lot of googling
> >> revealed it
> >> in a document:
> >>
> >> http://wrfsi.noaa.gov/release/release_notes_v2.1.1.txt
> >>
> >> Apparently, one should use the Vtable.NNRP for the degribbing
> >> of BOTH surface and analysis data, so the grib_prep.nl would
> >> look like this:
> >

> > I spoke too soon - this ends up giving you initialization files with no
> > soil information, and then real.exe bombs because it can't initailize
> > a LSM.
> >
> > So, again, if anybody has gone through this whole process successfully
> > and can share insight, it would be much appreciated.

> Dr. Oriol Jorba Casellas
> Earth Sciences Department
> Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación
> Edifici Nexus II
> C/ Jordi Girona 29, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
> phone +34 934134050 fax +34 933340255
> mail to: oriol.jorba at bsc.es
> BSC web page: http://www.bsc.es
> Daily DREAM dust model forecasts for the Euro-Mediterranean region: http://www.bsc.es/projects/earthscience/DREAM/