[Wrf-users] Update: WRFSI bug: shifted landuse

David Ovens ovens at atmos.washington.edu
Fri Aug 25 11:49:12 MDT 2006

WRF folks,

Here's an update on the WRFSI shifted landuse problems.  I have
discovered something very interesting regarding this bug.  My nested
WRF ARW domain has a shift of all landuse one grid point to the right
of where it should be.

Load this loop:
  http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?/home/user_www/ovens/wrfsi_bug+all
or look at individual graphics in
  http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wrfsi_bug
and pay particular attention to xlus_d2.wrf.gif versus
xlus_d2.wrfps2.gif to see this.  The only difference between these
model setups is that the wrfps2 one is a single, 12-km domain and the
other is a 12-km domain nested inside a 36-km domain.  They both have
the exact same centers and dimensions.

When either is compared to the MM5 landuse (xlus_d2.mm5.gif), however,
the MM5 still looks superior for land versus water because the WRF
looks like things are shifted a little too far (one grid point?) to
the southwest.

I'll be testing the new WPS system soon and we'll keep our fingers
crossed that it does not have the nest bug and that it has superior
coastlines (or at least as good as MM5).

David
David Ovens		 e-mail: ovens at atmos.washington.edu
Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108
Dept of Atm. Sciences      plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for the
Box 351640                        Pacific Northwest
University of Washington          http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt
Seattle, WA  98195               Weather Graphics and Loops
                                  http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops