[Wrf-users] Problem with WRF-ARW BMJ scheme after V2.0.3.1?

Gary Lackmann gary at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:42:20 MDT 2006

Hello,

With WRF-ARW V2.0.3.1 we had noted consistent behavior of the BMJ CP
scheme relative to other models (e.g. MM5, workstation Eta) when we
compared between cases and simulations.  It is a fairly active scheme.
When we began running WRF V 2.1 and beyond, we noted a very much reduced
level of BMJ activity.  This was gleaned not just from the "convective"
precipitation totals, but also from the heating and moisture tendencies.
There is about an order of magnitude less parameterized precipitation in
the newer versions, using BMJ.

In contrast, with the KF scheme, the totals are consistent with what we
saw in the earlier versions of the model, and the totals are much
greater than those for the BMJ for the cases we've studies.

Recently, working with graduate student Megan Gentry, we ran the
Hurricane Ivan case using several different permutations of WRF.  I am
attaching a plot of the convective precipitation (CTOT) and SLP for Ivan
using V2.0.3.1 as compared to V2.1.2 (which is very similar to all other
2.1 or later versions we've tried).  Clearly, there is a huge
difference.  This issue is not only seen with this case- we've run
convective cases, other hurricanes, mid-latitude cyclones, etc. and the
story is the same.

For most of the WRF model runs that we've been doing recently, we have
used the KF CP scheme due to this perceived issue.  But we wonder if
others have noticed this, are aware of it, have fixed it, etc. Perhaps
this issue is well-known and will be addressed in the next release?  If
so, we would like to know before we invest any effort in trying to fix
it ourselves.  We've investigated so far as to determine that the issues
probably lies outside of changes to module_cu_bmj.F.

Thanks for any info you would like to share about this.

Best Wishes,

Gary Lackmann