[Wrf-users] Near Surface Temperatures

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Thu Jan 19 11:50:54 MST 2006

    I've got WRF v.2.1 up and running real data, but I am not impressed
with near surface or surface temperatures.  I typically see in my
domain(s) anywhere from 5, to as much as 10 degrees difference between
observed and forecast.  I'm curious if this is something everyone has to
deal with, or if perhaps something in my setup is causing these
discrepancies.  The largest temp difference usually occurs in the
afternoons, and WRF is running on average, 7-9 degrees too cool.  In the
mornings, the model is not picking up on the low temps either, but
errors on the order of 2-3 degrees are common.  I can live with that.
The current setup for the inner domain is 12km, 34 levels, the lower
ones being 1.000, 0.999, 0.997, and 0.994.  The rest above that are
defaults from SI.  The model is initialized via the NAM.

As for physics, the run is set with::

mp_physics=5 (Ferrier (new ETA))
ra_lw = 1, (rrtm scheme), radt = 33
sf_sfclay_physics = 2 (Monin-Obukhov)
sf_surface_physics = 2 (Noah LSM)
bl_pbl_physics = 2 (Mellor_Yamada_Janjic)
cu_physics = 1 (Kain-Fritsch)

I've played around with various schemes trying to find a mixture of
things that would help bring surface temps in line with where they
should be, but no combinations I've tried have made any significant
difference.  About the only thing I can see that does appear to be
mostly correct is the surface temp of the Clark Hill lake, approx 15nm
north of me.  I do see as much as 5-7 degrees difference at times over
water, vs land.

I'd appreciate very much if someone has some suggestions to try or
anything that might help get surface temps in line.

Graciously thanking you,

Sam