[pyngl-talk] netcdf4-python vs PyNIO, was: xray et al (PyNIO, pandas, R)

Oleksandr Huziy guziy.sasha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 13:46:08 MDT 2015

Hi:

just dropping my 2 cents...

*netcdf4-python*
1. For me netcdf4-python is much easier to install
2. netcdf4-python can read multiple files as if it was only one file
MFDataset("prefix*.nc")
3. Very easy to deal with dates
4. I've never checked the benefits, but it can exploit cython if installed..

*pynio*
1. Can read many formats in addition to netcdf

As you can see I do not have much experience with pynio mainly because I
use netcdf4-python more ...
I would like to see if someone has compared their performance?

Cheers

> Louis Wicker Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:27:27 -0500 [1]
> > Are u aware of [netcdf4-python][2] from Jeff Whitaker?
>
> I thought PyNIO was "the NCAR way" to interact with netCDF from "the NumPy
> world." Plainly I am mistaken! So my next question is, how do
> netcdf4-python and PyNIO compare/contrast? Why use one rather than the
> other?
>
> (And the question after that is, does answering the first question require
> stepping into some kinda political minefield ?-)
>
> TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>
>
> [1]: http://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/pyngl-talk/2015-June/000044.html
> [2]: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf4-python

Sasha